Use less Water
97% of Earth’s water is salt water, and freshwater only makes up the remaining 3%. 69% of this water is in the polar glaciers and 30% is underground, leaving only a fraction on the surface and in the atmosphere.
With so little of it available, we can’t afford to waste a drop!
This doesn’t mean stop drinking water but do try to limit your shower time. When you are using a washing machine or dishwasher, fill them to their full capacity. Turn off taps and take fewer baths, every small action helps.
Reduce your meat and dairy intake or cut it out of your diet completely
The meat and dairy industries are a huge burden on the environment. They require the consumption of large amounts of water and land space, and in return release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Meat and dairy production goes hand in hand with water pollution.
If you aren’t ready to make the change to a vegan lifestyle, prioritise local food over imported products. This small step means less fuel is used during food transportation and less electricity needed for freezing and defrosting.
Waste not, want not
Have you ever considered where the millions of tonnes of waste we produce each year ends up? Rubbish either ends up in landfills, where toxic substances from the waste decompose into the soil, releasing harmful greenhouse gases. Otherwise, trash is burned in the incinerator polluting the air with poisonous gases.
Lots of rubbish doesn’t even make it this far and ends up on beaches or in the rivers and oceans. The infamous floating garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean is growing and experts claim it can be seen from space.
Sounds rubbish right? What can you do?
- Do not throw away clothes and furniture, instead give them away or sell them.
- Less is more. Stop buying things you no longer need, make throw-away fashion a thing of the past.
- Reuse – get creative and find new uses for your garbage.
- Say no to use by dates – try and keep items as long as possible.
As consumers we drive the retail sector, what we buy the big businesses will continue to sell. So avoid buying products with excessive amounts of plastic packaging and always take your own bag when you do your weekly shop. Why not try switching to local markets instead of large supermarkets?
It doesn’t have to be hard to reduce your carbon footprint. There are many ecologically and ethically-minded brands on the market that are often as affordable as those that harm the environment. So, when shopping for clothes start looking for brands with an environmentally friendly production process or go vintage and shop second-hand garms.
At http://www.ecofashionlabels.cz/ you will find a great selection of clothing that is both ethically and ecologically friendly. Simple and sustainable.
Car or bike?
Wipe the dust off the saddle and try getting back on a bike. It’s an environmentally friendly alternative to petrol-guzzling cars, and it’s good for your health.
Support local organisations and projects fighting for an eco-cause by signing up as a volunteer. If you don’t have the time, any money you contribute will make a difference. Or, next time you are on a dog walk and you see litter on the side of the road, pick it up and throw it away.
Lead by example
No matter how small, every action helps force change. So try to be the best example of how everyone should live on our planet. Be conscious and save the resources that the planet has given us. Help the world around you, you are part of it, after all.